Monday, February 19, 2007
Yankee Girl, by Mary Ann Rodman, is a newer book I picked up when the 7th graders were working on their "obstacles" unit. Alice and her family have just moved from Chicago to Jackson, Mississippi. It is 1964, the summer is hot, and people are not as open-minded as they were in Chicago. Alice's father is an FBI agent who has been assigned to the area to help protect the rights of blacks. As Alice struggles to make friends in a new school, another new student does as well. Valerie Taylor is the first black student to integrate the public schools. The treatment that Valerie receives from the "in" clique of girls is appalling. Violence toward Valerie and her family escalate. This book shows the racism of the 1960's up close.
The past month Mrs. Fauske has been very busy processing lots of new books. I've been reading so much I haven't had a chance to blog much. To see a list of the new books remember to use the "Visual Search" button in Destiny. Here are some that are sure to be popular......
- Crispin: At the edge of the world. Finally the sequel by Avi arrives :)
- The Second Life of Linus Hoppe. Did you read the first book, The Destiny of Linus Hoppe? Read this first and then move on to the sequel.
- The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. This is a holocaust story that everyone -- especially 7th graders who just finished the unit -- should read!
- The Return of the Skeleton Man by Joseph Bruchac continues the story!
- Book 4, Gregor and the Marks of Secret is here. Gregor returns to the world beneath New York City.
I could keep going on and on......stop in the media center and check things out :))))