Monday, October 02, 2006

Dr. Franklin's Island


I enjoyed reading Dr. Franklin's Island by Ann Halam. Lots of Tipler and Traeger students have read the book at my suggestion. I always compare it to the TV series, LOST. At the beginning of the book there is a plane crash. The main characters, three science students, find that they are the only survivors. They have washed up on an isolated tropical island. There isn't any sign of civilization. One of the characters disappears. As the other two go in search of him , they are kidnapped and taken to a scientific facility. At the facility they are held against their will. Their bodies will be used for scientific experiments. Read the book and see what happens to them.
Students have always pointed out the similiarities between this book and a movie, The Island. (PG13) I fnallly rented it this weekend. I wasn't disappointed. It was a great sci-fi adventure. I can see why they suggested it to me. The "lucky" people in this futuristic community win the lottery and are able to leave their underground home to live on The Island.
Read the book and then rent the movie. Let me know what you think

No comments: