Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Vacation Reading!


Wow.....I did lots and lots of reading over break.....now to get busy and write about it!

The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio is a true story written by Terry Ryan about her mother. I find it interesting that the subtitle is: How my mother raised 10 kids on 25 words or less.

Terry, the author, really did grow up with 9 other brothers and sisters! She lived in the average size town of Defiance during the 1950's and 1960's. Her father was an alcoholic who never brought home much of a paycheck that he didn't drink up first. The only way that mom could feed everyone was by using her gift of writing. Mom, Evelyn, entered all kinds of "jingle-writing" contests to try and her money or prizes to keep her family fed and clothed. And.....she was very successful. I chuckled when I read the chapter where Evelyn won a 10 minute shopping spree in a grocery store. I laughed at the idea of her "prize closet". Evelyn has a positive spirit that is hard to put down.
In 2005 this memoir was adapted into a movie.

No comments: